- 10 small potatoes
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp fennel powder
- 3-4 tbsp yoghurt
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- 3 crushed cloves
- 2 bud black cardamom
- 1 stick dalchini or ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 green cardamom
- a pinch of asafoetida
- cooking vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Place the potatoes in a pan and add water.
- Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes or longer till the skin can be easily peeled. Peel off the skin of
- Prick the potatoes all over with a toothpick or fork or the tip of a knife.
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a frying pan and put the potatoes in it.
- Deep fry potato slowly until reddish brown and put aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker or a cooking pan.
- Add chilli powder and asafoetida to oil and sauté.
- Add yoghurt and stir till the yoghurt dissolves in oil and forms into a thick red chilli paste.
- Add salt, ginger powder, fennel powder, cinnamon, crushed cloves and crushed black cardamom to
- yogurt chilli mixture in a cooking pan or a pressure cooker.
- Add the fried potatoes to the mixture, and add minimum 3 cups of water.
- Cover and pressure cook until one whistle or for about 5 minutes and then lower the heat and
- simmer approximately for 10-15 minutes.
- Open the cooker when the pressure drops. If too much of water is left; boil until a thick gravy is
- formed. Turn off the burner.
- If cooking in a pan, add 3-4 cups of water, cover and boil for 5 minutes on high heat. Then lower the
- heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- When done sprinkle the crushed cardamom and cumin over potatoes and cover.
- Serve stem fried potato warm.
- Steam Fried Potato/Dum Aloo/Dum Ollav