Plain Turnip/Shalgam/Tscchuta Gogji
- 1 lb or ½ kg turnip
- 2 whole red or green chilies
- 2-3 tbsp asafoetida vegetable cooking oil
- ½ cup of water
- pinch of asafoetida
- salt to taste
- Kashmiri spice cake if available
- Wash and cut thin slices of turnip.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or cooking pan.
- Add asafoetida and sauté.
- Add turnip to oil and stir well.
- Add salt, whole chillies, water and boil (to make red color turnip, you may add ¼ tsp chilli powder)
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the burner, leave the pressure lid on and open only when pressure in the cooker drops.
- If cooking in a pan, cook at medium flame for about 20 minutes or until turnip is tender.
- Add a pinch of Kashmiri spicy cake (if available).
- Serve with white rice.
- The plain turnip is ready to enjoy with white rice and plain yoghurt and red chilli relish.