- 1 lb. ½ kg häak/collard green
- Salt to taste
- 2 whole green chilies or red dry chilies
- Pinch of heeng/asafetida
- Pinch of baking powder/soda/full
- 3 tbsp. of vegetable cooking oil preferably mustard oil if available
- 2 cups of water
- Kashmiri spicy cake/vari if available
- Clean häaka/collard green by checking for white lines on leaves or bugs. Make sure to wash häaka two times in a water-filled sink to get rid of any sand or dirt. Salt or vinegar may be added to water in a sink to kill any bugs attached to the leaves of häak.
- Put 3 tablespoons of oil in pressure cooker/cooking pan.
- Add heeng/asafetida and sauté.
- Add 2 cups of water and boil.
- Now add häak and stir well.
- Add salt to taste and green or red whole chilies (if green chilies are not available, use dry whole chilies).
- Add pinch of baking powder to häak.
- Mix well.
- Cook until häak is completely dipped in water.
- Pressure cook häak for 3-4 whistles or if cooking in a pan and cook until häak is tender.
- Turn off the stove.
- Open the lid immediately to retain green color or else Häak will change its color.
- Add pinch of var (if available).
- Serve with white rice and green mertschwangan cheten/chili relish.