Kohlarabi – Ganth Gobhi – Monji Haakh
- ½ kg or 1 pound kohlrabi
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 whole green chillies/red dry chilli
- 1½ cup of water
- a pinch of baking soda
- Kashmiri spice cake if available
- 4-5 tbsp of vegetable cooking oil (or delete
- (preferably mustard oil if available)
- salt to taste
- Peel and Cut the kohlrabi into thin slices and strip its leaves into half.
- Clean the kohlrabi by taking out the coarse stalks and by washing it until the clean water comes
- Place the kohlrabi in a colander to drain out water.
- Heat 3 4 tbsps of oil in a pressure cooker or cooking pan at medium heat.
- Add asafoetida and sauté.
- Add the kohlrabi and stir well till it is shriveled and dipped in the water well.
- Add salt and the whole dry or green chillies as desired and water.
- Add a pinch of baking soda and boil the kohlrabi.
- Cover and cook the kohlrabi until 3-4 whistles in a pressure cooker or if cooking in a pan cook
- approximately for 15 minutes or until the kohlrabi is tender.
- Open the lid of the cooker immediately to retain the green colour of the kohlrabi.
- Add a pinch of Kashmiri spice cake (if available).
- Serve with white rice.