Chuk Nadur/ SourLotus Root/Kamal Kakdi:
Serving size: 3-4 people
- ½ kg or 1 lb. lotus root/nadur; (available at Chinese stores in U.S.A.)
- Lemon juice or Tamarind pulp/tamber;
- Salt to taste,
- 1 tsp. chili powder/marchwangan;
- 1 tsp. shonth/ginger powder;
- Pinch of heeng/ asafetida;
- ½ tsp. of cumin/zeera/zeur,
- 2-3 tbsp. of oil.
- Cut vertically 2-1/2” long pieces of nadur.,
- Take 3 tbsp. of oil in pressure cooker.
- Add nadur to oil and a pinch of heeng.
- Stir-Fry till nadur becomes little brown;
- add chili powder; shonth,cumin and salt.
Mix well.(traditionally nadur are deep fried and then cooked same way as written)
- Add little water and stir.
- Add ½ cup of water and boil.
- Pressure cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the stove.
- Open the lid when pressure drops in cooker.
- Add lemon juice or tamarind pulp to nadur.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Chuk Nadur is ready.
- Serve with white boiled rice.
If you are cooking with tomatoes, follow the same method as above.
Add only 2 tomatoes to nadur while frying.
Tomato can be used instead of lemon juice or tamarind.