Haakh / Saag / Collard Green:
Serving size: 3-4 people
- 1 lb.or ½ kg haakh/collard green;
- Salt to taste,
- 2 whole green chilies or red dry chilies;
- Pinch of heeng/asafetida;
- Pinch of baking powder/soda/full;
- 3 tbsp. of oil;
- 2 cups of water,
- Kashmiri masala/vari if available..
- Clean haakh/ collard green by checking for any white lines on leaves or any bugs;
- Make sure to wash haakh two times in water-filled sink to get rid of any sand or dirt. Salt may be added to water in the sink to kill any bugs attached to the leaves of haakh.
- Put 2-3 tablespoons of oil in pressure cooker.
- Add heeng/asafetida
- Add 2 cups of water and boil.
- Now add haakh and stir well.
- Add salt to taste, green or red whole chilies.( Dry whole chilies
can be also used, if green chilies are not available.)
- Add pinch of baking powder to haakh.
- Boil till haakh is completely dipped in water.
- Pressure cook haakh for 3-4 whistles
- Turn off the stove.
- Open the lid immediately to retain green color; or else, it will change its color.
- Add pinch of var. (If
- Serve with white rice and green marchwangan chetni/chili relish.
Note: Pressure in cooker should be released slowly by lifting weight with ladle or by cooling pressure under running water. If cooking in a pan cook until haakh is tender.