Serving size: 3-4 people
- One cup of washed split Moong Daal,
- ½ tsp of haldi/turmeric/lider
- , ½ tsp shonth/ginger powder,
- pinch of heeng/asafetida,
- ½ tsp zeera/cumin seed/zeur,
- 1tbsp of oil,
- two crushed laung/clove,
- two whole red chili,
- 2 ½ cups of water,
- Take Moong Daal in a pressure cooker.
- Wash well and add all ingredients to daal in pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 3 minutes and take pressure slowly out by lifting weight with ladle.
- Check for thickness and water consistency of daal .
- You might need more boiling after adding water.
- Daal is ready to serve. With side dish like 'ollu Churma', or 'Souchal' or 'Talith (fried) Muji Chetini' ..
Whole MoongDaal is cooked the same way except that it takes more pressure time like 15-20 minutes of cooking. Do not remove pressure immediately. Let pressure drop by itself. You may cook in crock-pot or slow cooker. Split daal needs half a day or less of cooking, the whole/saboot daal needs full day cooking.
Moong dal is also cooked on occasions like Ashtami, Pooranmaasi , mehendiraat and yagnopavit (mekhala).