Seyun Kaliya-Yellow Mutton:
Serving size: 3-4 people
• 1lb mutton,
• 2 tsp badiyan/fennel powder,
• 1tsp shonth/ginger powder,
• 1tsp zeera/cumin seed,
• 1 tsp haldi/lider /turmeric powder,
• 1green crushed eliachi/cardamom,
• 1 big crushed black elaichi/cardamom,
• pinch of heeng/asafetida,
• salt to taste,
• 2tbsp of milk,
• 1 tbsp. of oil and
• 2 cups of water.
• Take water in a pressure cooker,
• Add mutton, shonth,badiyan, zeera, heeng, crushed big black elaichi
to water in pressure cooker.
• Pressure cook for 8 minutes and let pressure cool.
• Open the lid when cool. Now add turmeric powder and 2 tbsp. of
• Boil Kaliya for 3-4 minutes.
• Grind green elaichi and zeur/cumin.
• Add to Kaliya and cover with lid.
• Serve hot with Paratha or white boiled rice.
This is a delicacy prepared in Kashmir on all occasion,especially on the
occasion of Shishur,
a ceremony held in honor of a new bride or a newborn baby at the time
of the onset of winter in the month of December.