Spicy Lamb – Roganjosh
- ½ kg or 1lb leg or shoulder portion of lamb or goat meat
- 1 ½ tsp. red chili powder/mertschwangan
- 1 tsp. shonth/ginger powder
- ½ tsp. badiyan/fennel powder
- 3 crushed cloves/roung/loung
- 1 tsp. zeera/ white cumin powder
- 1 stick crushed dalchini/ cinnamon
- Pinch of yeng/heeng/ asafetida
- 2 tbsp. yogurt/zamutdud
- 2 big crushed elaichi/cardamom
- 3 small elaichi/ cardamom
- ½ tsp. black zeera
- 3 tbsp. of vegetable cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash meat and drain water in colander..
- Heat oil in pressure cooker or cooking pan.
- Add heeng, dalchin, little white zeera, 2-crushed small elaichi, 2-crushed big elaichi, crushed clove, to oil and sauté at medium heat.
- Add meat and shallow-fry.
- Fry until liquid released from meat is absorbed and meat is brown.
- Add red chili powder and yogurt.
- Fry again till no white color of yogurt is visible.
- Add shonth, badiyan, and salt.
- Add ½ cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes or cook in a pan at medium flame till meat is tender.
- Turn off stove and open pressure when pressure has dropped.
- If excess liquid is visible, boil till desired consistency is reached.
- Grind white zeera and green small elaichi.
- Sprinkle on meat with black zeera and cover. This will give exotic aroma to meat.
Roganjosh is a main dish on any occasion from informal invitation to formal occasions like the weddings etc.