Spicy Radish/Khatia Mooli/Muji Ka’al
- ½ kg or 1 lb. radish
- lemon juice or tamarind pulp/tamber
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- a pinch of turmeric
- a pinch of asafoetida
- cooking vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Peel, wash and cut the radish vertically into 2½” long pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Deep fry the radish 5-6 pieces at a time.
- Heat 3-4 tsp oil in a separate frying pan.
- Add asafoetida and sauté at a low heat.
- Add the chilli powder, ginger powder, turmeric, cumin seed and salt. Mix them well.
- Add about 6 tbsp water and stir.
- Add the fried radish to the spicy mixture.
- Add ½ cup of water and cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until crunchy and tender.
- Add some lemon juice or tamarind pulp to the radish.
- Boil for 2 minutes.
- Spicy Radish is ready.
- Remove the pan from the burner.
- Serve with white boiled rice.
Note: Another option is to shallow fry muji all together in a pan and then add above spices.